Sunshine Bowl – Vegan and Gluten-Free
Many of the recipes I create are from ingredients I have already available in my fridge. Like all of us with busy lives, usually it’s getting close to dinner time, I’m hungry and need something fairly quick to make and full of nutrients and flavour. It also have to be a dish that both my husband and I enjoy and gives him enough dense nutrients to keep him, not just me, full and fueled – he weighs about 60 more pounds than me and works out a few hours per day so he’s got a pretty high metabolism. This is a vegan diet recipe that you can easily build up with more ingredients. For us it was a main dish salad as I added some chopped baby spinach, and you could also add some chickpeas or tofu. This is also a perfect salad to bring to a BBQ, or add some chicken or shrimp; the great thing is this is a recipe that will serve the needs of many hungry people – vegan or not. Plant-based eating does not mean small servings. The sauce was simple to make and adds lots of healthy fat to help keep you full, and the golden colour is beautiful. Sorry no photo, I ate it all and forgot to take a picture! I used two ingredients that may be new to you: Braggs – which is a natural source fermented soy sauce, no wheat or gluten, this is available at all health food stores and well stock grocery stores, you can substitute with Tamari or Soy Sauce True Roots Sprouted Rice and Quinoa – I bought this at Costco and love it, the grains are sprouted allowing for faster cooking time and easier digestibility. Of course you could substitute with regular brown rice or quinoa or even wild rice.
- Category: Main Dish
- 1 cup True Roots Sprouted Rice and Quinoa Blend*
- 1 ¾ cups water
- 2 medium sized carrots grated
- ¼ small fennel sliced thin into matchsticks
- ½ large red pepper sliced thin
- 1 Portobello mushroom, thinly sliced
- 1 Tbsp Braggs
- ½ bunch parsley, minced
- ½ cup thin sliced sun dried tomatoes
- Cook the True Roots Rice and Quinoa blend in the 1 3/4 cups water, according to package directions.
- Meanwhile slice veggies. Marinade mushroom slices in Braggs for 5 minutes, drain.
- Combine all ingredients, including cooked rice blend in a big bowl, stir to combine, add salt and pepper to taste.
- Top individual servings with a dollop of Sunshine Dressing
- * option, instead of the True Roots Blend, cook 1 cup brown rice or 1 cup quinoa in 2 cups water according to package directions
Blend all Ingredients in blender or Magic Bullet:
4 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
Juice 2 Lemons
¼ – ½ avocado (more avocado = thicker sauce)
1 clove garlic, minced
½ – 1 Tbsp. ground turmeric (depending on your taste)
1 Tbsp. raw local honey
pinch of Himalayan sea salt (to taste)