Grilled Panzanella Salad With Bell Peppers, Summer Squash, and Tomatoes
With lots of seasonal vegetables, beautiful colours and the added texture of the grilled bread, this salad is the perfect dish for these beautiful end-of-summer days.
Author: Donna Davis
Recipe type: Salad
Serves: 8 Servings
- Grilled Veggies and Bread:
- 1½ pounds assorted bell peppers (about 3 large), cut into 1½-inch-wide strips
- 1½ pounds assorted summer squash, cut lengthwise into ⅓-inch-thick slices
- 1 medium-size red onion, cut into ¼-inch-thick rounds
- 1 12- to 14-ounce loaf of ciabatta, some crust trimmed to expose bread, cut crosswise into 1-inch-thick slices
- extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, peeled, cut into thirds
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- ⅓ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Final Salad Additions:
- 1 pound tomatoes, cored, cut into ¾-inch dice, juices reserved
- ½ cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
- ¼ cup coarsely chopped assorted fresh herbs (such as chives, dill, chervil, and tarragon)
- Prepare barbecue (medium heat).
- Brush both sides of bell peppers, squash, onion, and bread slices lightly with the olive oil; sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Grill vegetables until tender and brown, about 4 minutes per side for peppers and squash and 3 minutes per side for onion.
- Grill bread until browned and crisp, turning occasionally, about 4 minutes.
- Cool slightly. Rub bread with cut sides of garlic. Tear bread into ¾-inch pieces; place in a very large bowl.
- Cut grilled vegetables into 1-inch pieces; add to bread in a bowl.
- Whisk first 3 ingredients in a small bowl to blend.
- Gradually whisk in ⅓ cup oil.
- Season dressing to taste with salt and pepper.
- Add dressing, tomatoes with juices, and all remaining ingredients to salad; toss. Let stand 20 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
Adapted from Bon Appetit